If you want a super SIMPLE way to eat clean and lose weight follow Michi’s ladder. Make it a goal to eat from the top 2 tiers and you will be amazed at your results. I’ve had many of my clients break through plateau’s that they thought were IMPOSSIBLE until they did this method!!
Like this plan but need a little more? I have Clean Eating Challenges once a month to help give you support while doing it!!! Message me at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out when my next scheduled challenge is. Make the subject “Clean Eating Challenge”!!!
We’ve all been there: hunger striking before the dinnertime clock, a sudden craving for something sweet, the need for a quick energy boost before working out. The solution? A small and satisfying snack that won’t tip that calorie count over the edge. The problem with snacking is when a quick nibble turns into enough calories to count as a meal, yet our list of healthy, low calorie treats can please any palate.
This list is filled with sizeable options enjoyable enough to devour guilt-free without any diet damage. And while most of these snacks pack a nutritious punch, a few are clearly set out to satisfy that sweet tooth (see #23!). But hey, at 100 calories or less, it’s worth the splurge.
1. Mini PB&F: One fig Newton with 1 teaspoon peanut butter.
2. Chocolate Banana: Half a frozen banana dipped in two squares of melted dark chocolate.
3. Frozen grapes (any color): 1 cup (about 28 grapes), stuck in the freezer for 2+ hours.
4. Honeyed Yogurt: ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt with a dash of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon honey.
5. Spiced Orange: One orange— about the size of a tennis ball— sprinkled with cinnamon.
6. Grilled Pineapple: 2 ¼-inch thick pineapple rounds (about 1 cup), grilled (or sautéed) for two minutes or until golden.
7. Berries n’ Cream: 1 cup blueberries with 2 tablespoons whipped topping.
8. Stuffed Figs: Two small dried figs with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat ricotta stuffed inside. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
9. Oats n’ Berries: ⅓ cup rolled oats (cooked with water), topped with cinnamon and ¼ cup fresh berries.
10. Dark Chocolate: One block, or three squares.
11. Nut-Stuffed Date: One Medjool Date filled with one teaspoon natural unsalted almond butter.
12. Chocolate Milk: 6 ounces skim milk mixed with 2 teaspoons chocolate syrup.
13. Cinnamon Applesauce: 1 cup unsweetened applesauce. Or, try this homemade version!
14. Citrus-Berry Salad: 1 cup mixed berry salad (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries) tossed with one tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice.
15. Maple-Pumpkin Yogurt: ½ cup non-fat regular yogurt (go Greek for extra protein!) with 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree and 1 teaspoon maple syrup… like this!
16. Chocolate Pudding: One 4oz package. Try a fat/sugar free version or a homemade one!
17. Chocolate Covered Strawberries: Five strawberries dipped in two squares melted dark chocolate.
18. Tropical Juice Smoothie: ¼ cup pineapple juice, orange juice, and apple juice, blended with ice.
19. Vanilla and Banana Smoothie: ½ cup sliced banana, ¼ cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, and a handful of ice blended until smooth.
20. MYO Banana Chips: One sliced banana dipped in lemon juice and baked.
21. Baked Apple: One tennis ball-sized apple, cored, filled with 1 teaspoon brown sugar and cinnamon, and baked until tender.
22. Fruity Waffles: One 7-grain frozen waffle toasted and topped with ¼ cup fresh mixed berries.
23. Skinny S’more: Two graham crackers with one roasted marshmallow and one small square dark chocolate.
24. Cinnamon Graham Crackers & Peanut butter: Two graham cracker squares with 1 teaspoon peanut butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
25. Cereal and Milk: ½ cup rice krispies with ½ cup skim milk.
26. Milk n’ Cookies: Five animal crackers with ½ cup skim milk.
27. Warm Spiced Cider: 6 ounces apple cider with sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg, warmed.
28. Citrus Sherbet: ½ cup lime sherbet (about one standard-sized ice-cream scoop) with ½ sliced kiwi.
29. Café Latte: 8 ounces steamed skim milk with 1 shot espresso.
30. Jelly Beans: 25 of ‘em! Although we don’t recommend these.
31. Marshmallow Pear: ½ pear diced and topped with 1 tablespoon marshmallow fluff.
32. Protein Shake: One scoop protein powder with 8 ounces water (choose from tasty powder flavors like cookies n’ cream and chocolate peanut butter!).
33. M.Y.O. Popsicle: 8 ounces lemonade frozen in an ice pop mold, or use a small paper cup as a mold.
34. Apple Chips: Munch on ¾ cup of kinds like these, or use this recipe!
35. Carrots n’ Hummus: About 10 baby carrots with 2 tablespoons hummus.
36. Pistachios: A couple handfuls— about 25 nuts (Crackin’ them open will take more time and avoid grabbing 25 more).
37. Cheese n’ Crackers: Five Kashi 7-grain crackers with 1 stick reduced-fat string cheese.
38. Dippy Egg: One over easy egg with ½ slice whole-wheat toast, sliced (to dip in yolk!).
39. Cheesy Breaded Tomatoes: Two roasted plum tomatoes sliced and topped with 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
40. Curried Sweet Potato: One medium sweet potato (about 5 inches long) cooked for six minutes in the microwave and mashed with 1 teaspoon curry, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
41. “Cheesy” Popcorn: 2 cups air-popped popcorn with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast— it’ll taste like real cheese!
42. Guacamole stuffed Egg Whites: Halve a hardboiled egg, remove yolk, and stuff the empty space with 2 tablespoons guacamole (avocado, lime, cilantro and salt).
43. Grilled Spinach and Feta Polenta: 3 oz polenta (about the size of a deck of cards) cooked with 1 ½ cups water and topped with 1 teaspoon feta cheese and a handful spinach.
44. Soy Edamame: ¼ cup boiled Edamame with 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
45. Dijon Pretzels: Two pretzel rods with 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
46. Crunchy Curried Tuna Salad: ½ cup canned tuna with 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, and two ribs celery (chopped).
47. Greek Tomatoes: One tomato (about the size of a tennis ball) chopped and mixed with 1 tablespoon feta and a squeeze of lemon juice.
48. Shrimp Cocktail: Eight medium sized shrimp boiled and served with 2 tablespoons classic cocktail sauce.
49. Smoked Beef Jerky: About 1 ounce— look for low sodium versions!
50. Cheddar and Tomato Soup: ½ cup tomato soup with 1 tablespoon shredded low-fat cheddar cheese.
51. Kale Chips: ½ cup raw kale— stems removed— baked with 1 teaspoon olive oil at 400° until crisp.
52. Sweet Potato Fries: One light-bulb sized sweet potato sliced, tossed with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and baked at 400° for 10 minutes.
53. Cucumber Sandwich: ½ English muffin with 2 tablespoons cottage cheese and three slices of cucumber.
54. Turkey Roll-Ups: Four slices smoked turkey rolled up and dipped in 2 teaspoons honey mustard.
55. Mixed Olives: About 8 olives.
56. Antipasto Plate: One Pepperocini, a ½ inch cube of cheddar cheese, one slice pepperoni, and one olive.
57. Pumpkin Seeds: 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, sprayed with oil (just a spritz!) and baked at for 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
58. Choco-Soy Nuts: 3 tablespoons soy nuts with 1 teaspoon cocoa nibs.
59. Wasabi Peas: About ⅓ cup of these green treats.
60. Balsamic Veggies: 3 cups raw peppers (any color!) dipped in 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction.
61. Cheesy Roasted Asparagus: Four spears (spritzed with olive-oil spray) and topped with 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, baked for 10 minutes at 400°.
62. Cucumber salad: One large cucumber (sliced) with 2 tablespoons chopped red onion and 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar.
63. Spinach and Feta Egg-White Scramble: Three egg whites scrambled and mixed with ½ cup raw spinach and 1 tbsp feta cheese. Cook in frying pan or zap in microwave until egg whites are no longer runny (about 1-2 minutes).
64. Crunchy Kale Salad: 1 cup kale leaves chopped with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
65. Chick Pea Salad: ¼ chickpeas with 1 tablespoon sliced scallions, a squeeze of lemon juice, and ¼ cup diced tomatoes.
66. Grilled Garlic Corn on the Cob: One small-sized ear brushed with 1 teaspoon sautéed minced garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil, grilled until tender.
67. Pretzels & Cream Cheese: 15 mini pretzel sticks with 2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese.
68. Bacon Brussels Salad: Seven brussel spouts thinly sliced and mixed with one piece lean bacon, chopped.
69. Rosemary Potatoes: ⅓ cup thinly sliced potato tossed with 1 teaspoons olive oil and a teaspoon of chopped rosemary.
70. Spicy Black Beans: ¼ cup black beans with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt.
71. Caprese Salad: 1 ounce (hockey puck sized) of fresh mozzarella with ½ cup cherry tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar.
72. Goldfish: About 40 fishies…try the cheddar kind!
73. Chips n’ Salsa: 10 baked tortilla chips with ¼ cup salsa.
74. Mini Ham Sandwich: Two slices honey-baked ham with 2 teaspoons honey mustard rolled in a lettuce leaf.
75. Lox Bagel: ½ whole-wheat mini bagel with two thin slices of lox.
76. Chocolate Trail Mix: Eight almonds, four chocolate chips, and 1 tablespoon raisins.
77. Apples and Cheese: 1 non-fat mozzarella cheese stick with half of a baseball-sized apple (any variety), sliced.
78. PB & Celery: 1 medium celery stalk with 1 tablespoon peanut butter.
79. Cottage Cheese Melon Boat: 1 cup melon balls with ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese.
80. Carrot and Raisin Salad: 1 cup shaved carrots with 2 tablespoons raisins and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
81. Tropical Cottage Cheese: ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese with ½ cup fresh mango and pineapple, chopped.
82. Blue-Cheese Stuffed Apricots: Three dried apricots with 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese.
83. Rice Cake and Almond Butter: One rice cake (try brown rice!) with 2 teaspoons almond butter.
84. Sweet n’ Spicy Pecans: Five pecans roasted with 2 teaspoons maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
85. Apples n’ Peanut Butter: ½ an apple, sliced and dipped in 1 teaspoon natural peanut butter.
86. Chocolate Hazelnut Crackers: Four wheat thins dipped in 1 teaspoon Nutella (or other hazelnut spread).
87. Strawberry Salad: 1 cup raw spinach with ½ cup sliced strawberries and 1 tablespoon balsamic.
88. Cacao-Roasted Almonds: Pop in eight almonds like these!
What are your favorite low-calorie snacks? Share them in the comments below!
Here are the details for my 20 Day Clean Eating Challenge! A great way to LEARN about healthy eating, break through a plateau and have a private support/accountability group! I have these monthly!
PART I of II:
1. You PRESS PLAY Five or Six Times a week, depending on your program.
If you are not doing a beachbody workout, you should aim to do 3 resistance days and 2-3 cardio days. (Note: my experience is with Beachbody products. For that reason I can’t design a gym workout program for you.)
2. You EAT CLEAN six times a week. YOU GET ONE CHEAT MEAL PER WEEK, NOT a cheat DAY.
3. No additional cheat snacks. ONE CHEAT MEAL PER WEEK. No alcohol.
4. Report daily for the preceding day in the group on facebook. Feel free to post comments, questions, struggles, triumphs here. We’re in this together! You can friend me on facebook: www.facebook.com/gretchenstrait
5. You have until August 27th to take your measurements AND pictures. You don’t have to post them, but you do have to take them. A lot of times you won’t lose pounds, but your body will change. Don’t miss that event!
THE PRIZE: A NEW FIT YOU!
Are you ready????
PART II of II:
EATING CLEAN DEFINED
RULE 1: You eat 4 to 6 small meals per day, ideally breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. That means that you are eating every 2 to 3 hours.
Your body needs to be fueled. Eating only breakfast, lunch, and dinner is not okay.
RULE 2: You eat at least 1250 calories (unless you are less than 5 feet tall). I am putting this down because this challenge is about eating clean and being healthy, not about starving yourself.
RULE 3: guideline: You follow something close to a 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat diet. For those of you doing carb manipulation or following a special plan for diabetics, that’s fine, too.
If you need a meal plan, email me! . If you are BB Club Member, you can print one out.
RULE 4: This is the real challenge part: YOU EAT ONLY FROM THE TOP 2 TIERS of MICHI’S LADDER 6 DAYS A WEEK. That means that you cannot have bagels for breakfast nor frozen yogurt for a snack. Top 2 tiers. Period.
To See Michi’s Ladder, sign on to your teambeachbody account. Go to EAT SMART Tab and you’ll find it there.
If you are not a FREE BeachBody community member, go to beachbodycoach.com/gretchenstrait to join so you can have access to Michi’s Ladder. I will also become your free coach!!!
What do you have to lose???
To your success!!
**** ADDENDUM: Shakeology, Recovery drink, protein supplements, coffee, natural almond/peanut butter, and almond milk are ALLOWED. *******
You can use Shakeology as your post workout recovery drink.
Gretchen Strait is a Beachbody Coach and is a self proclaimed former lazy person. During her 20′s she spent her time working on her career as a nurse, traveling the world, and enjoying long dinners and bottles of wine with friends.
Now, at 36, she is literally in the best shape of her life and spends her days helping others throughout all phases of their fitness journeys. After having her daughter at age 35 by c-section, and being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, she discovered P90X and ChaLean Extreme and dedicated herself to NOT fit the frumpy mommy mold.
Now, paying it forward she started her own business and is committed to helping other busy moms discover their inner beauty and confidence. She is devoted to giving all moms HOPE that they too, can look and feel amazing, no matter what their schedule is like.
Gretchen founded gretchenstrait.com in order to reach out and support to those that aren’t satisfied with their current situation whether physically, emotionally, financially, or nutritionally. She is here to help you see results!!
It’s not only important to pay attention to what we put into our body (healthy food) but it’s also important to have a healthy relationship with food and be CONSCIOUS and aware of your patterns/relationships with food and your body.
I’m about to start the Ultimate Reset and I’m looking everything over and not only is this an amazing way to completely detox and RESET your body physically but it also helps you with your relationship with food so you have healthy habits after the Reset is complete!
* Take a moment before you start. Give thanks and gratitude.
* Make eating a pleasant experience. Stress can disrupt digestion and nutrient assimilation.
* Eat slowly and chew your food. You can put your utensils down between bite.
* Be aware of your body. Savor the food you are eating. Be present and conscious of your mouth, teeth, lips….
Conscious eating is a stress reducer and a way to help your body assimilate your food and move toward optimal health and well being!
Want to know more about the Ultimate Reset? Click here!
Tired, clogged, and bloated? Get an internal tune-up with the Beachbody Ultimate
Reset™ Program! Extract more nourishment from the food you eat, flush toxins and heavy metals from your vital organs and rejuvenate your digestive tract and get ENERGIZED!!!!
Whey protein is often regarded as a bodybuilders favorite diet supplement, but it is not just for these big builders. Women looking to get toned and muscular can see some great results if they include whey into their diets.
Meet Lindsay! She has lost over 75 lbs total with Insanity and P90X!!! [Read more...]
Here are my 60 day progress pics!! I have dropped my body fat to 20% (from 24.1% 60 days ago and 20.9% 30 days ago) but have stayed the same weight due to gaining muscle! This month was hard and Thanksgiving was especially difficult for me! I had a little extra while cooking a few days before Thanksgiving and “cheated” a bit a few days after. That may have stalled my progress so I have recommitted to eating a clean diet. I’ve continued to push play 6 days a week and drink my Shakeology every day and still feel absolutely AMAZING!!! But, that being said, I know I could have done better with my diet. So this month I’m really ready to “BRING IT”!!!! I’m so motivated and inspired by my fellow Bombshell Dynasty coaches and am ready to to make 2012 the most amazing year for me physically and financially!!!
I hope my pics inspire you to start and/or continue your fitness program! If I can do it, you can do it. I’m no different than you!!!! I have hypothyroidism and my daughter was born via c-section 4 1/2 months prior to my 60 day pics. My days are busy with my baby, my family and owning 2 businesses but I have committed to my health. I want to set a good example for my daughter….by being healthy and having the discipline to stay dedicated to my journey. I’m passionate about health and fitness and most importantly…HELPING others achieve their goals!! I wake up every day with butterflies in my stomach and such gratitude that people are turning to me as their mentor and coach. I’m 100% committed to my family, to my health and to my coaching business with the Bombshell Dynasty. I would LOVE for you to join me on my team of positive people. Our team is dedicated and passionate about helping YOU!!!!
Join my team and change your life!!!!! I’ll be your FREE coach!