Blueberry-Banana Oatmeal Sundaes
Recipe type: Breakfast
If you think your oatmeal has no place in the cold breakfasts of warm summer mornings, pull it back out! Cool and creamy overnight oats layered with frosty fruit purée is kind of like eating ice cream for breakfast, but with a lot less guilt.
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- ⅔ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ⅔ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- In a medium bowl, whisk oats, coconut and flaxseeds. Add yogurt, milk, maple syrup and cinnamon and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (8 to 16 hours).
- Meanwhile, in a small container, combine banana and blueberries. Cover and freeze overnight (8 hours minimum). If using frozen blueberries, add to banana mixture in step 3.
- In a food processor or blender, blend banana-blueberry mixture, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl, until smooth and creamy. In small bowls or clear glasses, layer oatmeal mixture and banana-blueberry mixture, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per sundae: Calories: 265, Total Fats: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 4.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 38 g, Fiber: 6 g, Protein 10 g, Sugars: 15 g, Sodium: 67 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg